Friday, March 31, 2006

 

No Telnet In Vista Beta

Today I wanted to do a simple port check (e.g., telnet webserver 80) from my laptop running Windows Vista Beta: "'telnet' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." WTF? I run as LUA, so I tried as an admin in case it somehow masked it for Users - same. I know it's beta, but come on!

And don't even get me started on why Microsoft doesn't include a basic SSH client with Windows. But the same holds true for tar/gz support, and could we get a built-in PDF printer?!? I'm a big proponent of Microsoft, don't get me wrong, but these are some of the little reasons why I still dig OS X. And don't tell me it's a licensing issue - if Apple can afford to license PDF writing technology inside the OS, Microsoft should have no problems. But I'm sure they're trying to push MDI and/or whatever is the new Microsoft Reader format. You'd think by now they'd learn to be early adopters of industry standards instead of pushing their own proprietary formats into an established space!


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?